As a coral ecophysiologist, I am interested in understanding the influence of the seawater environment on the phenotype of coral holobionts. Specifically, I investigate the impact of global and local stressors such as ocean warming, ocean acidification, nutrient pollution, and over-fishing on coral physiology, morphology, and recently, the microbiome. Through my academic journey, I have studied corals on the Great Barrier Reef (undergrad), in Hawaii (grad), and in French Polynesia (postdoc). If you would like to learn more about my research or collaborate on a future project, please don't hesitate to contact me.
May 2021 - Present
Oregon State University, USA
Lab: Dr Rebecca Vega Thurber
August 2015 – May 2021
Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant
Ohio State University, USA
Lab: Dr. Andrea Grottoli
2015 – 2021
Ph.D. The Ohio State University, USA
Graduated May 2021 with a Doctor of Philosophy in Earth Sciences [3.9 GPA]
Dissertation title: Physiological acclimatization in Hawaiian corals in response to global climate change
Advisor: Dr. Andréa G. Grottoli
2011 – 2015
B.Sc (hons) University of St Andrews, UK
Graduated May 2015 with a Bachelor of Science with Honours in Marine Biology [first class degree (1st) / 4.0 GPA]
Study Abroad 2013–2014 James Cook University, Queensland, Australia
Thesis title: Effects of experimental heat-stress on the physiology of six coral species from the Great Barrier Reef
Advisors: Dr. Maria Dornelas (University of St Andrews) & Dr. Mia Hoogenboom (James Cook University, Australia)
Please contact me if you would like a PDF copy of any of my publications.
6. Effect of species, provenance, and coral physiology on the composition of Hawaiian coral-associated microbial communities
James T Price, Rowan H McLachlan, Christopher P Jury, Robert J Toonen, Michael J. Wilkins, Andréa G Grottoli (2021) Coral Reefs. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00338-021-02164-0
5. Environmental gradients drive physiological variation in Hawaiian corals
Rowan H McLachlan, James T Price, Agustí Muñoz-Garcia, Noah L Weisleder, Christopher P Jury, Robert J Toonen, Andréa G Grottoli (2021) Coral Reefs. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00338-021-02140-8
4. A review of coral bleaching specimen collection, preservation, and laboratory processing methods
Rowan H McLachlan, Kerri L Dobson, Emily R Schmeltzer, Rebecca Vega Thurber, Andréa G Grottoli (2021) PeerJ, 9:e11763. https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.11763
3. Isotopic approaches to estimating the contribution of heterotrophic sources to Hawaiian corals
James T Price, Rowan H McLachlan, Christopher P Jury, Robert J Toonen, Andrea G Grottoli (2021) Limnology and Oceanography, 66(6), 2393–2407.
2. Increasing comparability among coral bleaching experiments
Andréa G Grottoli, Robert J Toonen, Robert van Woesik, Rebecca Vega Thurber, Mark E Warner, Rowan H McLachlan, James T Price, Keisha D Bahr, Iliana B Baums, Karl Castillo, Mary A Coffroth, Ross Cunning, Kerri Dobson, Megan Donahue, James L Hench, Roberto Iglesias‐Prieto, Dustin Kemp, Carly D Kenkel, David I Kline, Ilsa B Kuffner, Jennifer L Matthews, Anderson Mayfield, Jacqueline Padilla-Gamiño, Steven Palumbi, Christian R Voolstra, Virginia Weis, Henry C Wu (2021) Ecological Applications, 31(4), e02262. https://doi.org/10.1002/eap.2262
1. Thirty years of coral heat-stress experiments: a review of methods
Rowan H McLachlan, James T Price, Sarah L Solomon, Andréa G Grottoli (2020) Coral Reefs, 39, 885–902. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00338-020-01931-9
7. McLachlan RH, Patel A, Grottoli AG (2021) Measuring Coral Skeletal Architecture Using Image Analysis. Protocols.io, dx.doi.org/10.17504/protocols.io.bx5bpq2n
6. McLachlan RH, Grottoli AG (2021) Image Analysis to Quantify Coral Bleaching Using Greyscale Model. Protocols.io, dx.doi.org/10.17504/protocols.io.bx8wprxe
5. McLachlan RH, Grottoli AG (2021). Geometric Method for Estimating Coral Surface Area Using Image Analysis.
Protocols.io. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.17504/protocols.io.bpxcmpiw
4. McLachlan RH, Muñoz-Garcia A, Grottoli AG (2020). Extraction of Total Soluble Lipid from Ground Coral Samples.
Protocols.io. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.17504/protocols.io.bc4qiyvw
3. McLachlan RH, Juracka C, Grottoli AG (2020). Symbiodiniaceae Enumeration in Ground Coral Samples Using Countess™ II FL Automated Cell Counter.
Protocols.io. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.17504/protocols.io.bdc5i2y6
2. McLachlan RH, Dobson KL, Grottoli AG (2020). Quantification of Total Biomass in Ground Coral Samples.
Protocols.io. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.17504/protocols.io.bdyai7se
1. McLachlan RH, Price JT, Dobson KD, Weisleder N, Grottoli AG (2020). Microplate Assay for Quantification of Soluble Protein in Ground Coral Samples.
Protocols.io. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.17504/protocols.io.bdc8i2zw
Awards and Honours
Spieker Book Award
2021 Ohio State University
Awarded to the distinguished Senior Ph.D. Graduate Student in the School of Earth Sciences
Distinguished Graduate Teaching Award
2020 Ohio State University
Presented to those graduate students who have displayed an outstanding commitment to classroom teaching in the School of Earth Sciences
Margaret Lang Prize
2015 University of St Andrews
Awarded to the outstanding student in the Senior Honours Marine Biology Degree programme
2014, 2015 University of St Andrews
Awarded to students who average above 16.5 (US GPA 3.8) in all modules across the academic year